What did those kids do to that nice lady?

Monday, October 12, 2020

Schoolhouse Diaries 4

The other day a friend texted me that she forgot to pick her son up from practice. Because…you know…it’s been seven months since he had a practice and suddenly there’s practice and it might have slipped her mind that one has to be dropped off and picked up from practice so then there’s a text saying, um, Mom? You forgot me. I’m still at practice. 


Life lessons. Brought to you by Moms Who Forgot Stuff And Also Kids. 


I forgot that I live in a place where my dreams of sweaters and boots and jackets  and hats are never realized because it’s always too warm. Yet, all these retailers, they tempt me incessantly with these “seasonal” sweater displays and I’m not strong enough to say no. I’m weak. Weak with heat. It was 92 degrees last week and I bought three sweaters. It was too hot to even try them on, much less wear them out and about.


Oh shit. I forgot we don’t go out and about anymore.


Well, at least I can look cute when I pretend it’s cold enough to walk my dog in a sweater and promptly start sweating about two blocks in. 


We have forgotten how to wake up early. Without a pressing need to leave the house by 7:45 anymore, I languish with sleepy eyes until about 7:15 or so before slipping out of bed into another day of certain uncertainty. I fumble with the coffeemaker, displeased each and every morning that I forgot to prepare the coffee the night before. I flip on the news, attempt to digest whatever fire drill the world has set off overnight and begin to watch the clock so I can timely begin the process that is Waking Up Daughter. 


Because Daughter has forgotten that she used to leave the house for school. So she has really upped her waking game. She needs time to grunt, moan, roll around, proclaim the pure unfairness of her life, curse out COVID, ask me to scratch her back, punch her pillow and be generally unpleasant all while yelling at me that SHE FORGOT HOW TO GET OUT OF HER BED. 


Son has forgotten how to speak. I mean his lips are moving. Barely. I hear sounds coming out of his mouth but instead of concise words, it’s more like a collection of low, grunting noises with a splattering of coherency. Like an ancient Neanderthal discovering language for the first time. When I can’t make out what he is trying to communicate to me, I just hand him food and then he usually goes away.  


All these things we’ve forgotten; these habitual tasks of yesterday we now long for with increasing intensity even as world outside passes by each day, just as it’s always done, the sun and the moon rising and falling with their practiced predictability, not forgetting even once. March feels like a lifetime ago and I admit I do try to forget how those early days felt. Long and empty. I see photos of family and friends across the nation on social media doing things that seem normal. Friday night football games. Going to school. Pumpkin patches and sweater weather. I’m not here to say if it’s right or wrong, too soon or not soon enough. I’m just here to admit that I’m ready to stop forgetting. I’m ready to start remembering again. And I’m almost ready to wake up before 7 am. 


But, Children? If you’re standing in the parking lot ten minutes after practice has ended, better shoot me a quick text. 


In case I forgot. 





No comments:

Post a Comment