What did those kids do to that nice lady?

Monday, October 19, 2020

Schoolhouse Diaries 5

 Here’s the thing.


I know Son is in 8th grade. Which means next year he’ll be in 9th grade. Which is high school. Which is kind of a big deal. But it didn’t really occur to me until a recent dog walk around the local high school that next year HE’S GOING TO HIGH SCHOOL. 


Now I can physically see the high school from my house. I walk around it with my dog a dozen times a week, meandering through it’s parking lots streaming true crime and Conan. Yet…it never hit me…this whole high school thing.  I didn’t think about it. Until one day I did. For whatever reason this one time walking by I just stopped and stared at the school and it hit me with a jolt of reality. Oh SHIT. High school. Next year. 


Next year.

High school. 


And right after the inevitable tears clouded my vision, I just got pissed. At all the things for all the people. Stolen traditions. Stolen rights of passage. Hijacked dreams. Anticipation dulled. It’s not that I forgot that Son is shy just a year of entering high school, it’s that nothing feels real or valid anymore so it didn’t even cross my mind. I mean is he actually even IN 8th grade currently? Because as far as I can tell, he’s in his bedroom playing Minecraft on his four minute “breaks” after an 80 minute “class” while wearing his pajamas and counting down until “lunch” when “school” is “over.” 


Wow. I’m sorry. That was an excessive amount of quotations. I just couldn’t stop. 


Remember when we were all freshly locked up and many of us (me) had never even heard of Zoom? That was so cute. And then we all had our Zoom happy hours with friends and family and commiserated while keeping the the alcohol industry booming. And then we were all yeah…I don’t want to Zoom anymore. Like ever. Even if I get to drink and see my friends. I.Can’t.Zoom.Again. Please, take the Zoom away from me and put the Zoom in the trash. 


And yet-this is how our kids are learning every day. With Zoom. For hours. And they don’t even get to drink. And they barely get to see their friends. Our kids are Zoom Zombies, just staring at a screen with a desperate teacher trying so hard to do their job on the other side, maybe a little drool slipping down their chins before they perk up for a second and yell for a snack. And guess what? I just can’t care anymore if they eat during class. There’s no rules now. I mean if it’s okay for us to not prioritize education while we put spin bikes under tents in parking lots, I’m pretty sure it’s going to be okay if Daughter eats a banana during her zoom math class. 


These resilient kids, though. They keep finding ways to just be kids. The other night I stood in my driveway with the neighbors watching children swirl around us while they played hide and seek under a darkened sky and I couldn’t help but smile as I remembered my own childhood night games with my own childhood neighbors. It was a reminder that this period of life is simply a chapter in the whole book. A long, terribly repetitive chapter. At times a nightmare of a chapter; sometimes an apocalyptic chapter. But damn it. We have to keep reading. One page at a time until finally we reach the next chapter, a sigh of relief to put the last one behind us. It probably won’t be a fairy tale; I’m pretty sure it’ll still have a twisted plot. But what choice do we have? 


This is life, not book club. 


We have to finish it. 


And allegedly my next chapter includes high school, so I better keep reading. 




No comments:

Post a Comment